Monday, December 28, 2009

Silence is deceiving...

Wyatt has pretty much always been the boy who stays in bed once he is put there. 

I remember the very first night he slept in his big boy bed I told him, "Wyatt, if you get out of bed you will get a spanking." He got out of bed, he got a spanking. With that time included I can count on one hand the number of times he has gotten out of bed.... until yesterday. 

I decided to take a nap while the kids were napping, Icyle and I have been sick with colds and she has not been sleeping as well as normal, thus, I have not been sleeping as well as normal. So, I laid down with Icyle in my bed and once I heard silence I let myself drift off to sleep thinking that both the children were asleep... however, silence is deceiving. 

About 30 minutes to an hour after I finally drifted off to dreamland I heard foot steps coming up the stairs... this startled me and caused my heart to jump because my dear children were sleeping, or so I thought, and my dear husband was at work... all of a sudden over the corner of my covers I saw Wyatt... little stinker scared the crap out of me. 

As soon as he saw my face I could tell he remembered what happens to little boys who get out of bed...  

And as fast as he had come clomping up the stairs, he went clomping right back down them. I found him hiding by the couch with his blankie over his head... he is not a very good hider by the way. He got his spanking and a gentle reminder that we do not get out of bed. And off to bed he went, again. 

Now, I don't think he has ever done this before... but it makes me wonder... if he had not been so loud coming up the stairs, I would have happily slept the afternoon away and he would have... I don't know... played the day away perhaps? Who knows what kind of trouble he could have made.... I don't even want to think about it really.

All I know is that silence is deceiving and I will be double checking from now on!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I hope for your sake this isn't a pattern!